POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Getting Function Evaluation : Re: Getting Function Evaluation Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Function Evaluation
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 18 Dec 2000 08:06:00
Message: <3a3e0bb8@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> In article <3a3bbf8c@news.povray.org>, Geoff Wedig
> <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote:

>> Is there any way to get the value of a function directly?

> This is a feature which I have wanted for a long time...I have done a
> little work on implementing it, but haven't really tried. The syntax
> would be:
> #declare FuncName = function {...}
> #declare FuncVal = FuncName(XVal, YVal, ZVal);

That's what I tried at first.  It makes sense, at least to me.  Eventually I
created a function and a macro, both with the same equation.  Not ideal, but
workable in my case.

>> I know about eval_pigment/pattern, which don't work.

> Uh, they don't? The eval_pattern() function should be perfect for this...

No, it gave me an error.  I don't have the code here, so I can't tell what
error it was, but once I saw that, I began to wonder what eval_pattern() was
for in the first place, since it wasn't for that.

Anyway, problem (mostly) solved (see above), so it's no big deal.

Geoff